Passport/Visa Requirements

A passport and either an ETA or a traditional VISA are required for travel to Australia.  ETA stands for “Electronic Travel Authority” and is an online visa which is much easier to obtain than the traditional visa.

More good news is that your passport does not need to be valid beyond the date of your planned departure from Australia.


You must hold a valid passport from an ETA-eligible country to obtain an ETA online.  ETA-eligible countries are:

Canada, United States, Great Britain (British Citizen), Japan, Andorra, South Korea, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong (SAR), Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (if resident in and applying in Taiwan), San Marino.

The ETA is for people intending to travel to Australia on a temporary basis for tourism or business purposes.

Tourist ETA – The Tourist ETA applies for travel for tourism only. Tourism includes holidays, recreation and visiting family and/or friends. It is valid for 1 year for multiple journeys of up to 3 months.

Business ETA – The Business ETA applies to business purposes only. Business purposes may include attending a conference, negotiation or an exploratory business visit. It is valid for 1 year for multiple journeys of up to 3 months.


A travel agent – A travel agent can arrange an ETA online or help you to apply for a regular visa if you don’t meet ETA requirements. You must bring your passport as the information for the ETA or for a regular visa must match what is in the passport.

Australian Government Website –

To apply for through this site for an ETA, you must hold a passport from the United States, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong (SAR PRC), Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea.  The cost is $20(AUD).  This site provides a list of offices around the world where you can apply for an Australian visa.

A private company – If you use a phrase like “Get ETA Australia” in a search engine you will find many private companies that will help you obtain an ETA online or a traditional visa if you are not from ETA-eligible country.  A popular site is Visa Central which is available 24/7, and offers quick service for obtaining an ETA.    The cost is $50(USD).  This site can also help you obtain a regular VISA if you do not meet the requirements for an ETA.

We look forward to seeing you in Australia!