Ribeye steak 1 kg (2 lbs)
Butter 90 g (3 oz)
Brandy 15 mL (2 Tbsp)
Brown mushrooms 300 g (10 oz)
Baby onions 300 g (10 oz)
Red wine 500 mL (2 Cups)
Port wine 250 mL (1 Cup)
Water 250 Ml (1 Cup)
Tomato puree 120 g (4 oz)
Bay leaves 2
Bean sprouts 800 g (24 oz)
- Cut rib steak into large cubes. Heat 60 g (2o z) butter in a pan and cook the beef in small quantities.
- Cook until brown all over.
- Remove meat after each small portion is fully cooked.
- Place all the beef back in the pan and flame the brandy.
- Remove the beef from the pan and add 30 g (1o z) butter. Add the onions and mushrooms and stir for a few minutes.
- Remove the onion and mushroom mix from the pan. Place the beef back in the pan.
- Add wine, port wine, water, tomato puree and bay leaves.
- After boiling, place lid on the pan and reduce heat. Cook for about 1 hour.
- Place the mushrooms and onion back into the pan.
- Cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sautee bean sprouts in another pan for 30 seconds and serve alongside the beef stew.
Recipe created by Mrs. Sumiyo Kawakami from Antonkarl Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan
Served at the International Sprout Growers Convention in Chicago, IL, USA – 2010