Yield: 10 sliders
1 Cup Chickpeas, Dried
6 oz Sweet Maui Onion, chopped
2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp Mint, chopped
1 ½ tsp Kosher Salt
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Cumin, ground
½ tsp Coriander, ground
¼ tsp Cardamom, ground
½ tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Baking Powder
¼ Cup Flour
1 lb Mung Bean Sprouts, blanched and squeezed of excess water
Oil for frying, as needed
10 slices Plum Tomato
10 leaves Lettuce
10 slices Sweet Maui Onion, sliced thin
2 ½ oz Macadamia Nut Bean Sprout Hummus (See recipe below)
1 oz Harissa *(See information about Harissa below recipe instructions.)
10 Buns, small
1. Soak the chickpeas in water, overnight.
2. Drain and place the chickpeas, onions, garlic, herbs and spices into a food processor and puree.
3. In a separate bowl mix the flour and baking powder.
4. Add flour mixture to the pureed chickpeas and pulse until a dough forms.
5. Remove from food processor into a mixing bowl and mix in bean sprouts.
6. Let mixture rest in refrigerator for an hour or two.
7. Form into ten even patties and pan fry or deep fry in oil, until brown.
8. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
9. Place patties in the slider buns and top with hummus (see recipe below) and harissa. Garnish with lettuce, tomato and onion.
10. Serve immediately.
*(Harissa is a hot chili paste that is commonly found in North African cooking. It is added to couscous, soups, pastas and other recipes. It can be purchased in Middle Eastern stores in a can.)
Bean Sprout Macadamia Nut Hummus
Yield: 2 cups
4 oz Macadamia nuts, roasted
12 oz Bean Sprouts, blanched and squeezed of excess water
¼ Cup Olive oil
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 tsp Garlic, minced
¼ tsp Cumin, ground
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Pepper
1. In a food processor combine all ingredients and puree.
2. May be used as a spread or dip